#EndSARS: How I was arrested, detained illegally — Victim

AN #EndSARS protester, Emmanuel Peter Odion, aka Hope, has narrated how he was arrested and detained illegally for taking part in the protest then, while he was actually on his way from work.

Odion, who thanked God that he did not die in police custody, said he would have been among those to be given the planned mass burial by the Lagos State government.

Narrating his ordeal, he said: “My name is Emmanuel Peter Odion. I was arrested by the official of the Lagos State Task Force in Iganmu area of Lagos on October 27, 2020. I was accused of being part of the anti-police brutality protest, which later turned violent after it was hijacked by hoodlums in different parts of the country, where many Nigerians were arrested randomly in the wake of protests. I was  detained illegally for a week in Panti, Yaba and I was taken to court.  

“During my arrest, the Iganmu Policemen harassed me that they recognised my face as one of the leader of #EndSARS protests.

“On October 20, 2020, after I was arrested, I was beaten till I fainted. My teeth were pulled out and I was taken to Panti from where I regained consciousness two days later,  I woke up with blood all over my face and body. 

“They questioned me that I participated in the #EndSARS protest in my area, Iganmu, Lagos, but actually, my area was peaceful and calm during the protest, though the police station in Orile was burnt, but my part of Igunmu is far from the police station area.

“But after about a week, I was taken to court and the IPO said I should plead guilty. I asked why, he said that was  what I must say.

“The case was adjourned to November 2, 2020. On the day at the court, I sneaked away and ran from the security men. I had to leave Lagos entirely.

“With these upheavals, I had to leave for my place in Edo, but there were other political issues going on there, as my father and his political allies were being targeted by their political rivals. My case was like jumping from frying pan to fire. 

“In fact, as the political opponents were hunting for my father, I was also on the run. My name was publicly announced when my father’s political opponents in the East of Nigeria heard about his demise that he should not come back home.

“Since I could not come out for fear of arrest, I had to leave Nigeria for a safety place.”

Culled from Vanguard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman, 31, murdered in apartment

Police express worry over fabrication of AK-47, other rifles