Why I resigned from Yoruba Nation struggle — Banji Akintoye

From left: Pro. Banji Akintoye, Sunday Igboho and Prof. Wale Adeniran.

...Hands over to Deputy, Wale Adeniran 

LEADER of the Yoruba Self-Determination struggle, Ilana Omo Oodua Worldwide, IOOW, Professor Banji Akintoye, resigned as the leader of the group, citing old age. 

He, however, handed over the baton of leadership to his former deputy, Wale Adeniran.

Adeniran resigned from the executive of the organisation in November, citing matters of principle as the reason for his resignation. 

Akintoye, a Professor of History, in a statement by the General Secretary of the group, Dr. Tunde Amusat, said he was handing over the mantle of leadership to him (Adeniran), citing old age and a weakened body system for his reasons. 

The Second Republic Senator apologized that he was resigning from the management of the organization when the movement was in crisis and prayed that Adeniran brings everyone together and resolves all contending issues.

The statement reads: "Dear Wale, I write this letter to you in your position as Chairman of Ilana Omo Oduduwa to congratulate you and the newly elected Executive Council of Ilana.

“I also hereby inform Ilana through you of my departure from further responsibilities in Ilana. I urge you and all others not to think that this step is a consequence of recent difficulties in Ilana. As you know better than any other person, I have been seeking for over a year now to take my leave from Ilana because combining the duties of Ilana with the duties of the greatly elevated demands of the Self-determination Struggle has been too heavy for me at my age. I am greatly honoured that you, as the closest person to me in Ilana, most Ilana members, and all Ilana committees, have for months been urging me not to leave Ilana because, according to you all, Ilana is my special ‘baby’ in the whole Self-determination Struggle. But you would remember that in a special meeting of leaders of the Self-determination Struggle from all over the world about a month ago, you and all the other meeting participants agreed graciously that I should give up my duties in Ilana because of my heavy accumulation of duties to the higher levels of the whole struggle.”

Culled from Vanguard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Joshua: How I found my husband dead — Wife

Oyo school kidnap: We can’t risk more lives in rescue efforts — Soun

Easter: FG declares Friday, Monday public holidays