Other than ‘Ayu must go', no personal issue with Atiku — Wike

Gov Wike of River State.

GOVERNOR Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has said, other than demanding that the North relinquishes Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, national chairmanship to the South, he has no personal issue with Atiku Abubakar, the party's presidential candidate.

This is even as Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, hailed the Rivers State governor on his 55th birthday.

Wike, while hosting political associates and Rivers Elders Council, led by its Chairman, Ferdinand Alabraba, to share the joy of the 55th birthday of the governor at his private residence in Rumueprikom, yesterday, also said he has no regret contesting the presidential primary he lost to Atiku.

He said: “I don't regret that I ran for presidency. I am happy to make Rivers proud as far as I am concerned. If they had allowed it to be what it is supposed to be, I would have won the election. But it's okay. It has happened.

“People said because I lost election, it doesn't matter. I didn't lose election. This is my first time of trying to run for the president of Nigeria and we made impact. If it is easy let them go ahead. Are they not the ones begging?

“I have no problem with presidential candidate. All I am saying is what is the interest of Rivers people?  What is the interest of the South -South, and the South?"

On beef with estranged Rivers political allied, he said, “I called Austin (Opara), he sat here and I said look my brother leave it, it will not work. I don't want to cause crisis in our system. Amaechi finished eight years as governor, I'm going to finish eight years as governor too. 

It will be difficult to sell another Ikwerre person as governor for another eight years. Omehia said he wants to go to the Senate, I said leave it. Ikwerre has gone, Ogu has gone, leave Etche to go.

“You people said I should go (to Senate), I said I won't.  Allwell (Onyesoh) could not have stopped me. Yes, today we are majority, you don't know what tomorrow will be. I never did anything to undermine anybody. We must understand that.”

Against allegations that he imposed Sim Fubara as Rivers PDP guber candidate, Wike said the decision was collective, adding, “When O.C. J Okocha comes back we will publish the agreement signed by all.”

In his remark, Alabraba told the governor, “Your Excellency, since after the primaries and all the matters arising, a lot of people have been wondering where are we going, what are we doing?  

"But, I assure you that the belief we have in you and your leadership, whenever you decide to say where we are going, that is where all of us will go. We are not in a hurry. We will deliver Fubara as our governor, deliver all Reps, senate and all state Assembly candidates.

“But the other one we are waiting for whenever you decide. We will wait for you. Whatever you decide, that is where all of us will go.”

Culled from Vanguard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Joshua: How I found my husband dead — Wife

Oyo school kidnap: We can’t risk more lives in rescue efforts — Soun

Easter: FG declares Friday, Monday public holidays