We need Pry, Secondary schools in Orisunmibare — Baale Adebowale.

Chief Raufu Adebowale.

... requests for status elevation from baale to kingship

By Moses Oyejola & Iyabode Ishola

THE traditional ruler of Orisunmibare community in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State, High Chief Akeebu Raufu Adebowale, has appealed to Governor Sanwo-Olu to establish primary and secondary schools in his community. He also appealed for infrastructural development of the area and elevation of his status from baale to kingship.

He made the appeal during his interview with The Harbinger News.

The first class baale whose tenure has brought remarkable improvement to the community was a seasoned journalist who passed through the tutelage of late Dele Giwa, Dan Agbese, Yakubu Muhammed and Mike Awoyinfa before he dropped the pen in 1996. He always welcome journalists to his palace when the need arises, just like the popular saying, “once a soldier, always a soldier”. Our correspondent, Moses Oyejola, was in his palace and took him up on his community and other issues. Excerpts:

Who is Baale Orisunmibare?

I am High Chief Akeebu Raufu Adebowale, a first class Baale. I thank Almighty God for his wisdom bestowed on me to paddle the canoe of the community successfully. I studied Mechanical Engineering at Ilaro Polytechnic and Journalism at the Nigeria Institute of Journalism, Ogba-Ikeja. I worked as a journalist before entering community service and eventually becoming the Baale of the Orisunmibare community.

Will you shed more light on your foray into journalism?

To go down memory lane, it was one of my mother's tenants then in Ewu town who introduced me to journalism. I used to visit him in his office at Concord newspaper. He was a colleague of my brother. When he saw my interest in the profession, he encouraged me to attend a diploma programme in journalism at NIJ, which I did. I began my career as a journalist under the late Dele Giwa, Dan Agbese, Yakubu Muhammed, and Mike Awoyinfa at the defunct Concord newspaper, founded by the late M.K.O. Abiola, where I was assigned to Mike Awoyinfa, the Editor of Weekend Concord. I was also part of M.K.O Abiola’s struggle for the presidency, titled: "Hope 1993". When Concord folded, I went to work for Guardian, then for Champion, where I was assigned to community newspapers in Owerri and Ikeduru.I left the area during the Otokoto saga before I dropped the pen.

Tell us about your community?

Orisunmibare is a community in Alimosho LGA in Lagos State. The community is naturally and strategically situated in close affinity with Shasha, Ejigbo, Idimu, and Isolo. Also, it is not far from the Air Force Base and the Murtala International Airport, Ikeja. We share boundaries with the Ageke, Akinfolarin, Omotosho, and Olusi Olugbesa families.

So far so good. How has it been?

I give God the glory for His support and the support of my cabinet members. We have been running the affairs of the community successfully with peace. Everything has its own challenges, but it depends on the way one goes about it and with God on my side, I always surmount the challenges.

How has your community fared in development?

With my cabinet members, it has been fantastic in terms of infrastructure development. The governors have really carried us along in times of concrete development. From former governors Asiwaju Bola Tinubu to the current governor, Babajide Sanwoolu, they have really tried for us with the provision of transformers. Orisunmibare Shasha Road was terrible before it was repaired. We have an international market; a well-equipped and befitting health centre, which runs 24 hours service, and a local market where fresh edible items are brought on a weekly basis for sale at a cheaper rate. They are always on hand on Thursday night before selling on Friday morning. The government should consider us and provide both primary and secondary schools for us in Orisunmibare. We have none in our community.

What is your projection in the next five years?

I am looking forward to a mega community, I want Orisunmibare to look like Allen Avenue Ikeja, or even better than Allen. My prayer and my wish is to be elevated to kingship title.

What about the local government? Have they looked towards the direction of your community?

The local government under the leadership of Hon. Jelili Sulaimon has really done fantastically well for me and the community. During the road project, I was told to forward four roads, out of the four roads sent to the local government, two have being worked upon. As the chairman of the Baales in Alimosho, I was presented with a vehicle for mobility. On special occasions like Eid-Fitri and Christmas, we the Baales are given cows and cash, which we slaughter and distribute here in the palace. It depends on where the coins turn. But, for me, the coins of the local government are turning to me positively, and I know that more good things are still coming.

Are you getting enough cooperation from other royal fathers?

Oh yes, I am a member of the Alimosho LGA joint chieftaincy, that is the six LCDAs of Alimosho under the leadership of Oba Gbadamosi Onigando of Igando. They have been nice to me, Onishasha is a jolly good brother. He is good to me.

The security aspect of the community, what is your take on that?

Apart from the government's measures to maintain law and order in society and to check security breaches, we also tried to complement them with local vigilantes. I must commend all the DPO’s and area commanders that have always been posted to this area. They are always up and doing. In fact, if I call the current DPO at any point, he will respond in a jiffy. He knows that I will not call him if there is no cause for it. Kudos to him and his men and to the area commander.

The youth are an integral part of society. How are you directing them to the right part?

I counsel them and re-orientate them. On a yearly basis, during the Christmas and Eid periods, I invite the youth to my house. We wine and dine together. The last one took place on the 23rd of June, I tried to counsel them on the right part and for them not to go against the societal norms. Some of the young ones easily go the right way, even the stubborn ones among them, we still talk sense and direct them positively. Parents should also give their children a good home upbringing. They say charity begins at home, but those that deviate from engaging in nefarious activities such as stealing and other societal ills, we hand them over to the law enforcement agents.

How have your cabinet members been cooperating with you?

We are together harmoniously; they will soon be coming to the palace before the end of the interview. Two of them came in during the interview. They are Chief Adele, secretary of the community, and Chief Wasiu Andu Akinbiyi. That is to tell you that we work in unity for the betterment of our community.

Finally what is your advice?

Leaders should not see his or her self as a boss, but as a servant, for him to serve the public successfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Joshua: How I found my husband dead — Wife

Oyo school kidnap: We can’t risk more lives in rescue efforts — Soun

Easter: FG declares Friday, Monday public holidays