Baba Ijesha to face sexual assault, defilement charges — Lagos AG

Olanrewaju Omiyinka (also known as Baba Ijesha)

LAGOS State Government
, has recommended five sexual assault and defilement charges against Nollywood actor, James Olanrewaju Omiyinka, popularly known as Baba Ijesha.

A statement by the state's Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Moyosore Onigbanjo, SAN, stated that after due consideration of the case file forwarded to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions, DPP, by the Police on April 30, 2021, a prima facie case was established against Baba Ijesha.

Onigbanjo stated that Baba Ijesha will be charged under the following provisions of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015: Section 135, Indecent Treatment of a Child, punishable by seven years imprisonment; Section 137, Defilement of a Child, punishable by life imprisonment; Section 261, Sexual Assault by Penetration, punishable by life imprisonment; Section 262, Attempted Sexual Assault by Penetration, punishable by 14 years imprisonment, and Section 263, Sexual Assault, punishable by three years imprisonment.  

The statement reads: “It would be recalled that the Nigeria Police Force arrested Olanrewaiu James (also referred to as Baba Ijesha) on account of various sexual abuse allegations. On April 30, 2021, the Police forwarded the case file of COP vs Olanrewaju James to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions, DPP, for legal advice.  

“After due consideration of the facts in the case file, the Directorate of Public Prosecutions issued legal advice on the 4th of May, 2021, which is to the effect that a prima facie case has been disclosed against Mr. Oianrewaju James and recommended he be charged  

“Whilst the State would ensure that Mr. Olanrewaju James’ rights, as enshrined in the Constitution, are upheld, the Ministry of Justice would not relent in its efforts in ensuring that whoever sexually abuses any resident of Lagos State is speedily brought to book.  

“It is instructive to note that the Lagos State Ministry of Justice has been consistent in its efforts in protecting the vulnerable in our society and since the establishment of the Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team in 2014, it has till date prosecuted over 800 cases of Sexual and Domestic offenses.  

The Attorney-General, hereby, assures Lagosians and indeed Nigerians that, in accordance with the DPP’s advise, charges would be filed accordingly.”

Genesis of Baba Ijesha's ordeal

Popular comedienne, Adekola Adekanya, aka Princess, narrated details of the incident during a live broadcast on her Instagram.

She said people, who were compassionate about her childlessness, entrusted the victim and five other children to her care, adding that after Omiyinka allegedly defiled the minor, she started behaving strangely.

She stated, “The child started failing in school, I paid for private lessons and when I told my family, they told me we should pray, maybe it is spiritual. But I kept on saying that something is wrong, this child has changed.

“My friend talked to the child again to know what was going on, she told us what happened, I was shocked… I called the CCTV company to set a camera, we asked everybody to go out and stay in a neighbour’s house, she (the victim) was afraid, we said she should calm down…

“He came in and saw that there was nobody at home and I told him I want to see dstv people off and I will stay long…I dropped my phone, went out and locked the door. Two seconds later, he stood up, begin to check my whole house to be sure that none of the children were inside sleeping.

“I can’t begin to relay the things that he did, I was shaking because we were monitoring it on the phone. Police came immediately and picked him up, I asked him, Lanre, what is my offense? You know I didn’t give birth and the children were in my care so I won’t be thinking and you did something like this to me? He said it is the devil…”

Meanwhile, a senior officer at the Lagos State Police Command said investigation into the recent allegation against Omiyinka revealed that he did not defile the victim, adding that when she was questioned, the victim confirmed the same.

The senior police officer stated, “There was no case of defilement, people are just talking out of sentiment. They are not talking from the point of law. We interviewed all parties involved in the case for three hours today (Wednesday).

“The mother complained that her child was at the age of seven when she was defiled and the child pointed at Baba Ijesha. But the case was not reported until she was 14 years and under the law, the case has become statute-barred.

“Regarding this new case, the CCTV footage has been assessed and nowhere was it captured that Baba Ijesha defiled her. The footage only showed him touching the victim’s body but it never showed him having any sexual intercourse with the girl. The girl also confirmed the same thing.

 “A test was recently done on the victim and it was discovered that she had penetration. Is it the penetration of seven years that is still evident now, and who penetrated her then? Is there any medical report linking the man (Omiyinka) to the crime?

“The CCTV footage never showed Baba Ijesha defiling her, but he confessed to touching her body indecently and apologised, and the girl confirmed the same.

“Investigation is still ongoing and we have instructed them to conduct a medical examination on the victim at a government recognised medical facility. We are not specialists in the field and we have also sought legal opinion from the Ministry of Justice. “So, in law, it is a case of indecent assault and not sexual harassment, and it is open to bail... despite granting bail, investigation would continue..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Joshua: How I found my husband dead — Wife

Oyo school kidnap: We can’t risk more lives in rescue efforts — Soun

Easter: FG declares Friday, Monday public holidays